Steps to Get Active
Steps to Get Active is a FREE 12-week physical activity group programme for adults in North Somerset living with a long term health condition/s.
North Somerset Council is working in partnership with Hutton Moor Leisure Centre in Weston-super-Mare to offer the 12-week group programmes of support.
There might not be a cure for some long term health conditions, but there are treatments such as taking part in exercise which can help relieve some of the symptoms and make certain conditions easier to live with.
About the Steps to Get Active programme
The programme offers weekly group support to help you make gradual increases to your physical activity levels.
The programme is FREE for a duration of 12 sessions of weekly group support (funded by North Somerset Council) to residents living with a long term health condition, who have been signposted to the programme by a local health care practitioner.
After the initial funded 12 weeks participants will be required to fund sessions, we will aim to keep sessions as affordable as possible.
Steps to Get Active groups available at Hutton Moor Leisure Centre are:
- Steps to Get Active: Fibromyalgia (Mondays, 7-8pm and Thursdays, 10.30-11.30am)
- Steps to Get Active: Parkinson’s (Fridays, 12-1pm)
- Steps to Get Active: Stroke Rehabilitation (Fridays, 1-2pm)
- Steps to Get Active: Mental Health (closed session for AWP; speak to your Care Coordinator for more info)
For more information, visit our Active Directory, and download Steps to Get Active
What does the programme involve?
Supporting participants to take part in physical activity gradually, building up activity levels slowly over time, tailored to participants condition and ability. Sessions will include low impact aerobic and muscle strengthening exercises specifically aimed at reducing pain and stiffness and improving function.
The group programmes will be led by qualified exercise instructors and the first session will provide an opportunity to:
- look around Hutton Moor Leisure Centre (Hutton Moor Road, Weston-super-Mare, BS22 8LY)
- meet the exercise instructor delivering the group
- meet others taking part
- discuss activities you might like to try out as a group over the 12 weeks
- complete paperwork required
- take part in a short taster session
During weeks 2-12 there will be the opportunity to:
- hear from a social prescriber about other local support
- hear from our Healthy Lifestyles Advisor service
- hear more about the long term health condition from a local health care professional
Evidence: It’s safer for people with long term conditions to be physically active
There has previously been some concern that long-term conditions could be made worse by physical activity. However, the evidence is that physical activity has an important role to play in preventing and treating many conditions and that, for most people with long-term conditions, the benefits outweigh the risks.
To help address concerns around risk, we are using the Moving Medicine risk consensus to help everyone understand what safety advice should be given.
For further information about Steps to Get Active or to register for your FREE 12 weeks of group support:
Call: 01934 425900 (ask for Kylie Taylor)