Drinking alcohol is often associated with having a good time. But drinking can affect your judgement and concentration, impair your vision and hearing, and worse your balance and coordination. It can also negatively impact your mental wellbeing.
- Think in units – don’t drink more than the recommended 14 units a week [[insert link to ‘calories and units in alcohol’ page]
- Have several drink-free days each week
- Tell your friends and family you’re cutting down and that it’s important to you – they could support you
- Make it smaller – still enjoy a drink but have smaller sizes. Try bottled beer instead of pints or a small glass of wine instead of large
- Drink lower-strength – swap strong beers or wines for those with a lower strength (ABV in %).
- Try alcohol-free alternatives, such as ‘No-secco’ and ‘virgin cocktails’ – there are lots to choose from
- Stay hydrated – drink a glass of water first and then alternate alcoholic drinks with nonalcoholic ones
- Don’t drink alone and stick with your mates