Healthy Start Scheme- Get Help to Buy Food and Milk
By Anna Dedman
What is Healthy Start?
Healthy Start is a scheme to help towards the cost of buying healthy food, milk and formula milk. Click here to find out what you can buy.
If you are pregnant or have children under 4 years old, and you meet the income criteria, you can apply for a pre-loaded chip and pin card to use in food shops.
The card is automatically loaded with funds, every 4 weeks. This same card can also be used to access free vitamins. Click here to find out how much money you could get on your card.
Paper vouchers have switched to a digital card
Paper vouchers have stopped, you may have heard them being called ‘milk vouchers’. If you were previously receiving paper vouchers, you will need to re-apply online to get the new pre-loaded chip and pin card.
To check if you meet the criteria to apply, click here https://www.healthystart.nhs.uk/how-to-apply/
You can apply online, by email or phone:
- Complete and submit an online form: https://www.healthystart.nhs.uk/how-to-apply/ No printer or signatures needed. Computer access and assistance is available in our North Somerset libraries, just ask one of their friendly staff.
- email firstname.lastname@example.org
- call 0300 330 7010 Find out about call charges (opens in new page)
Top Tip 1: When typing your family’s names, ensure they are typed exactly as they appear on your other benefit award letters. All of your information must match that on your benefit awards, such as your address, or new baby. You can report any changes to your circumstances by signing into your Universal Credit Account .
Top Tip 2: Once you receive your card, keep hold of the letter it comes with. You will need your client ID on the letter when you call to Activate your card.
Useful links to further help:
Do you have a question? Click here: Frequently asked questions (FAQ’s) – Get help to buy food and milk (Healthy Start)
Do you need help using your card? Click here: About your card – Get help to buy food and milk (Healthy Start)
Find out more about Healthy Start on the main Healthy Start NHS page: Get help to buy food and milk (Healthy Start)
Free vitamins with your Healthy Start card:
To request home delivery of free child vitamin drops and women’s vitamin tablets, please follow these steps:
Send the following information by WhatsApp or Text 07557 592753 or by email to email@example.com :
- How many pots of adult tablets and child drops you need
- Your address to post them to. Home delivery is for residents in North Somerset. If you live in a different area, please search for your local stockist here: Postcode search
- Send a photo of your digital Healthy Start card, showing your name.
Vitamins are also available from North Somerset Children’s Centres by showing your card at reception.
To learn how we use and look after your personal data please click this link: https://n-somerset.gov.uk/council-democracy/privacy-cookies/privacy-notices-public-health/privacy-notice-healthy-start-scheme